Tuesday, April 26, 2016

28. The 7-year-old not spayed female Silkie Terrier had seen 3 vets but still passed strong smelly urine

April 28, 2016


Yesterday, the dog owner came to buy a bag of K/D and I review her dog's medical record. 

This is my 2nd case of recurring STRONG SMELLY URINE in a female dog despite consulting "many vets" and getting all tests done. There was no reprieve from the urinary tract infection and 3-4 vets were consulted in the past 1 year. 

So, on August 15, 2015, she consulted me. Smelly urine with blood and pus is passed out every now and then but not every month. The dog had heat usually in June but in 2015, there was no heat. I did not do X-rays but just a blood test and urine test. The blood test showed no abnormality of the kidney or other organs. The urinalysis showed positive nitrite, protein 4+, blood trace, crystals of triple phosphate+ and amorphous phosphate 3+. Urine pH 9.0 and SG 1.035. I palpated the bladder.It had thickened wall indicating chronic cystitis. the right kidney was painful.
The vulval area was hyperpigmented black indicating long-term licking. There was vaginal discharge and the dog had milk in the mammary glands indicating false pregnancy and possibly open pyometra..

I advised the K/D diet to be followed by the C/D diet and spaying of the dog. The owner did not bring in the dog for review nor get any urine tested as the dog was peeing normal urine from August 2015 to presently in April 28, 2015.. She just purchased the K/D diet.


Today, April 28, 2016, the owner bought the K/D dry food and I asked if the dog still had strong smelly urine.

"None at all since your treatment in August last year," she said.


"How do you know she has stopped all heat bleeding?" I asked.
"My dog lies on the sofa and I will see blood stains, but in 2015, there were no stains." "Does she lick her private parts daily?"


I got a blood test and urine est done. 

"The vets consulted would do X-rays to check for urinary stones and invariably would find no stones," she said to me today. "They would do urine and blood tests and prescribe antibiotics. One vet even gave me a repeat course. But my dog would pee smelly urine again and again. That is why I come to see you."

No comments:

Post a Comment